There’s going to be times in your life when you feel BORED. Perhaps you’ve recently gotten out of a relationship and suddenly find yourself with all this extra time on your hand. Maybe you’re in a comfortable relationship and are stuck in a routine which is when boredom hits. Or right now, it might be because of the lockdown that almost everyone in the world finds themselves in. (Crazy times hey- but at least it’s keeping us all safe!) For whatever reason, fear not. Because this is how you can overcome boredom, almost instantly…
Three Steps To Overcome Boredom
1. Shift Your Mindset
Whether you believe it or not, your attitude makes a huge difference to how you feel. If you tell yourself over and over “I’m so bored right now” and just keep thinking about it… you’re going to feel it. It’s just like if you tell yourself how much life sucks and how miserable you are, you’ll also start to feel that too.
Positive thinking won’t fix everything, but it will influence the state you’re in to a certain degree.
So the first thing we need to do is cut the crap! If you want to overcome boredom, you need to stop feeling sorry for yourself over the fact you are so bored, and decide to do something about it.
After all, every moment is an opportunity to do something wonderful with your time. Don’t waste any of that. In fact, if you need to put time into perspective, have a read of this post. I think it will shock you! (Especially the jelly bean video!)
2. Look At What You’re Doing
Here I think it will fall into one of two main categories…
- Something you’ve been doing for a while now, so you’re starting to get a bit tired of it, hence the boredom. This could be like I mentioned before, the ‘routine’ we can find ourselves falling into in a relationship. So maybe every night you get home, cook, tidy up, watch a bit of tv then head to bed with a book. Uh huh, I get it. Very samey. On the flip side, maybe you’re single and throwing yourself into your work (which is great) but you feel like you haven’t got the juice in your life anymore and are getting a bit bored.
- Then on the contrary, you may be bored because you’re doing, well, pretty much nothing. You’ve been watching tv for the last hour and a half, or have been aimlessly scrolling through social media for what feels like a lifetime. It’s uninspiring. Boredom actually feeds off this kind of stuff. These kinds of activities are simply distractions that suck you into a prolonged state of disinterest. So you’ve got to get away from them and find something of more value to do.
And hey, just to get it clear, I’m not criticising. Boredom hits us all at times! But if you’re feeling bored, look at why. Then, do something about it by taking action! This leads me onto my third and final step to overcome boredom…
3. Whatever You’re Doing, STOP, And Do Something Else
So if you’re in the middle of working, stop, stand up and take a ten minute break… go for a quick walk or something. But staying there sitting doing the same thing is not going to help. You’ve got to get out of this state so you can then refocus.
On the flip side, if you’re watching tv, or scrolling through social media – switch it off, drop it now and do something else. What exactly? Well pause for a moment and think…
What WOULD I rather be doing right now?
It’s not necessarily the answer to all of your boredom problems. But it’s something better and more appealing to what you’re currently doing. If you’re not sure, ask yourself:
- What are my options?
- What do I enjoy?
- What have I wanted to do for a while now?
- What would feel pretty rewarding?
- What could I do that I’ve never done before?
This should give you plenty of ideas. Then pick from one of them and get cracking. Just make sure that when you do it this time, you give it your full attention. That way you’ll be more focused on it and your mind is less likely to drift into an unproductive state.
Do You Have Enough ‘Juice’ In Your Life?
One of the best ways to overcome boredom is to stop it from setting in in the first place. How? By filling your life with as much as you can! Pursue a career that really excites you, get more direction and purpose, do more of the things that you’re passionate about, get hobbies, have creative outlets, build on your friendships, work on your relationships. The list could go on and on.
Life is so precious. We are all so lucky to be here. So live it to the absolute full! When you do this, I guarantee you’ll find yourself getting bored far less often. And when you are bored, you have things you can work on. You don’t have to dig so deep to overcome the boredom.
Top Boredom Busting Tips:
If you want to overcome boredom, there’s plenty of things you can do.
- Work on yourself. This is always a good idea. It will also help to give you the confidence to go on and do more things. Unsure where to start? Here’s 100 suggestions with this personal development bucket list for self improvement… that should keep you busy for a little while!
- Get creative. Write, draw, paint, sing, journal, dance. Whatever’s your thing, do more of it. And if you don’t have a “thing”, find something that you enjoy. Try different things. Creativity helps to focus the mind, and has even been compared to meditation due to its calming effects on the brain and body. This leads me onto my next stress busting idea…
- Release the tension. When you’re bored, you’ll often find yourself starting to get a bit fed up or frustrated. To overcome boredom, you want to let go of this. So you might like to try a little yoga, meditation or mindfulness.
- Try a new challenge. Challenges are great for giving you focus. They also create lasting results. A couple I have going on at the moment: 30 Day Self Care Challenge (focusing on your mental, emotional and physical well-being) & the 30 Day Fitness Challenge (this one is in progress for me, so why not join in on it at the same time?)
- Start a new project. It could be something you want to learn about, something hands on or just something you’ve wanted to do for ages. The choice is yours. But whatever it is, make sure you get EXCITED about it and really WANT to do it. That way it’ll be a great boredom buster whenever you need.
So that’s it in a nutshell. How to overcome boredom. Subscribe below for more helpful guidance and motivation.
With all the opportunities we have in today’s world, we really shouldn’t find ourselves being bored too often. So think outside the box, push yourself, make the most of all your time. I guarantee it will not only get rid of your boredom, but make you feel a hell of a lot happier in all areas of your life too.
Keep safe and well!